Theodicy Redux

My dear friend Winston, whom I adore, has an interesting hobby. He likes to discuss things with people he's never met! He spends a lot of time on the 'net with his own blog. He also makes comments on others'. Recently, he's been discussing Theodicy. He's posted a couple of pieces. His most recent started as a comment made on another blogger's site which then moved to his. The discussion spans several pages and two or three different sites. It is fascinating, long, rather technical and for the most part, rather well written. The initial comment was about a video that I didn't watch. I was more interested in the discussion. As usual, Winston got me thinking. (Although I admit, I'm a bit preoccupied with the issue of God's justice and suffering right now. I must say, I'm still a little mad at "Him!")

I think the problem of evil/suffering is the most difficult question Christians/Theologians/People of Faith face. For many, it seems a rather simple discussion. The simplest position is that God causes/allows bad things to happen because we are evil. My sister (who steadfastly maintains she is not a theologian and knows very little about the Bible) articulated the criticism of that position saying, "Isn't that the Old Testament God? What about the whole Jesus, God is Love thing?" (Not a theologian. Yeah, right!)

Anyway,

Both of these positions, in their absolute forms have limitations. Most arguments on this issue invariably degenerate into various levels of proof-texting. Some arguments are better than others. But usually, these discussions generate much more heat than light. (This is not to say that I think these discussions shouldn't occur; far from it. I am a Wesleyan after all.)

The bottom line: I don't know why bad things happen. I wrote about suffering previously. I'll continue to write about it. My ministry is entirely dedicated to it. It doesn't get me any closer to an answer. But what helps me is to know that God knows. What's more, God has a purpose.

A professor says simply "God works for good in everything." I firmly believe that. I would've gone insane long ago if I hadn't. I don't know why bridges collapse. I don't know why 18 year olds die from mysterious diseases. I don't know why people I love are in pain. I don't know why I have faulty parts. But God does. God has a reason for all of this.

Now, that sort of begs the question. Couldn't God figure out a way to accomplish his goal without all the suffering? After all, were, talking about God! I have at least 5 books on my bookshelf that work on answering that question. They are all written by folks much smarter than me. I won't summarize their arguments here. (That's way too much like schoolwork!) There are also some Bible verses that work on that question. But I won't quote scripture at you. (I've already criticized proof-texting.) But I do believe one thing that helps me.

I believe God suffers with us.

Gods sits next to us, puts an arm around us, and helps us cry.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Nice. Yes. Thank you.

Joy said...

You made me cry. Thanks for the reminder and for the comforting thoughts. This is definately your calling. ILY