Another one

Another death by ruptured aorta. Slobodan "Slobo" Ilijevski died Monday. My birthday, oddly. He was 58.

I remember watching this guy play soccer in the '80s. He was a goalie for the indoor soccer team in St. Louis. I remember wanting to buy his jersey. I've always been more attracted to defenders. The glory always goes to those who score goals, runs, or points of any kind. Defense is usually under appreciated. He was so fun to watch. He, and the rest of the Steamers were a part of the reason I love soccer so much.

It is such a strange feeling to read about deaths like this. I mean, there is the obvious grief of reading about the death of someone you remember from your youth. But with a death like this, there is so much more. He died of something I have survived multiple times. Saying "Man, I was lucky" gets really old after a while. The fact that I am still alive is unfathomable. All i can do is shake my head, go get more coffee, and get ready for physical therapy.

Well, that and say a prayer for his family and a prayer of thanksgiving for mine. I am really lucky and chances are, if you are reading this, you are part of my family and I love you very much.

Maybe I'll try to work through more of this later. But for now, Suzanne is coming. Time for PT.

1 comment:

Joy said...

You have made me teary once more. It is not ours to always understand but to live the best we can. I love you too.