Rick Warren's Invocation at the Inaguration

I wrote a letter to the President elect and posted it before I had a chance to copy it for posting here. It is probably obvious what it said. I wish he would have picked someone else. Perhaps Martin Marty or even Ken Vaux, a professor at G-ETS who advised the President-elect during the election. But, he picked Rev. Warren. Here is some info I picked up from a Facebook group. I urge everyone to write to voice their disapproval. Even if you don't support gay-marriage, I think you might agree that Pastor Warren's linkage of gay marriage with incest and polygamy is a bit too extreme.

Here's the text from the Facebook page:

Divisive, homophobic Saddleback Church minister Rick Warren has been invited to give President Elect Obama's inaugural invocation.

HERE'S WHAT HE HAS TO SAY ON GAY UNIONS:
Rick Warren: But the issue to me is, I’m not opposed to that as much as I’m opposed to the redefinition of a 5,000-year definition of marriage. I’m opposed to having a brother and sister be together and call that marriage. I’m opposed to an older guy marrying a child and calling that a marriage. I’m opposed to one guy having multiple wives and calling that marriage.

Steven Waldman: Do you think, though, that they are equivalent to having gays getting married?

Rick Warren: Oh I do.

DOES THIS REPRESENT THE CHANGE YOU VOTED FOR? DOES THIS MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE INCLUDED IN THIS SYMBOLIC DAY OF NEW BEGINNINGS? YOU CAN TAKE ACTION RIGHT NOW:

1. CALL 202-540-3000 , press "2," speak with a live person

2. SEND a letter letting the transition team know what you think here http://change.gov/page/content/contact, and

3. EMAIL Parag Mehta, Obama's LGBT liaison on the transition team at parag.mehta@ptt.gov.

1 comment:

Furious Buddha said...

Hey buddy-
I'm not particularly surprised by the Rick Warren thing, but I think it's a good idea to let Obama know we aren't pleased with the idea of throwing homosexuals under the bus in an effort to make nice with Christian Conservatives. Did you have a nice Christmas? Mine was lovely. Merry Christmas.