educating a heretic

History last night and Pastor as Counselor yesterday morning and my brain is fried.


What's funny is that this morning I turned on the TV and randomly flipped the channel and it landed on a televangelist. In less than a minute, I figured out his was a particular brand of Gnosticism with a nice blend of prosperity gospel. Buy his secret knowledge and god will reward you. If only...

Reminds me of a quote from a U2 song.

"The God I pray to isn't short of cash, mister!"

At least Bono has the energy to be pissed off. Me, I'm still struggling to put words to my beliefs. To get ordained, I have to be able to explain who Jesus is and why it's important. Shoot, to pass History 1 I need to be able to answer that question. But I'm just not sure. I've never REALLY understood Jesus. I certainly get the Jesus as man part. I like Jesus: Feed the poor, do the right thing. Speak truth to power, all that stuff. But I just don't get the divinity part yet. Turns out I'm an Ebionite (an ascetic, vegetarian Jew who adheres to the teachings of Jesus but denies his divinity). Who knew.

Funny thing is that heresy went out in the 2nd century. Except for the Unitarians. I could go there, but their buildings are so boring!

So, a nap; some food; and I keep plugging away. Luckily today I've got a bit of time to revisit 2nd century heresies. Maybe I'll learn something and my thinking might catch up with the third century.

Somebody wake up Tertullian. He's got some 'splaining to do!

3 comments:

Joy said...

a nap and food...that always helps me. :) Remember...Jesus loves you always!!!

Brett Hendrickson said...

Knowing what brand of heresy is yours is half the battle!!

Alex said...

Ah, I don't envy you. My brain hurt for most of seminary.